Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dear J.K., (Happy Birthday Harry & J.K. Rowling!)

I am cleaning and I found a letter I wrote J.K. Rowling after I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I had read all night and was full of emotion, so parts are a little sappy...

In honor of her birthday (and Harry's!), I would like to share it with you. (Spoilers ahead if you have not read the series)

Dear J.K. Rowling,


I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I was glad to find myself among those, who you said would, love it. I cannot tell you how fearful I was that Harry was going to die; you kept hinting at it but I wasn't sure how he could die since I knew Voldemort had to be defeated! But you and your nifty plot twists and loopholes! I was amazed how everything began to fall into place.


I want to thank you for sharing Harry with the world. I grew up with Harry, as many did, having read the first three books when I was ten and then attending midnight release parties for the next four. I was not a convert to reading because of Harry Potter; I have always loved to read. However, there's just something so different about your books. For the first time, all the fantasy and magical worlds I had always wished I lived in actually seemed real because it was right in the middle of our own world!


I am sure you are aware of how Harry Potter has become so much a part of our society. But I think sometimes I don't even realize how much I learned from them or how much I love every little thing about them. The characters of the Harry Potter books are so fascinating. All of them have their struggles to do the right thing (fighting against Voldemort) or the other right thing (protecting their families). This is what makes them so human and attainable. This is what makes them so admirable.


In the days after Half Blood Prince came out, I had a lot of discussions of who was my favorite character, which character was I most like, etc. When I was younger, I had always loved Hermione, just because she was a girl and awesome. But six years later, thinking about it, I realized that I most identify with Harry. Of course, I've never had near the kind of magical battles or confrontations like he has, but the way he dealt with things was so familiar. I've dealt with loss, become depressed and then rejuvenated like Harry because I knew I had to keep going. And knowing that he could do it, having it so much harder than I, it always gives me encouragement.


Thank you, again, for giving me and so many others an escape to a more fascinating world than our own where good always wins out in the end. Thank you especially for giving me the friends of your seven books that I will always treasure.


Best of luck to you in the rest of your life and thank you for sharing Harry with us.


~Naomi Broadway

No comments:

Post a Comment