Monday, August 1, 2011

Birthday Week! (Recap)

I turned 22 about three weeks ago and I decided to do a weeklong celebration and do some of my favorite things with some of my favorite people!


I started off the week with my birthday on Sunday July 10. I was in Durham... for a day. I made my mom sing "Las Mañanitas" to me since my dad didn't know the words. I got to go to church and see my church family that I had not seen in 6 months. I went to visit Messiah's House (our children's church) and the kids sang happy birthday to me. My dad had some of the mothers of the church pray for me as I begin my year of service, and then they sang to me. After church, we went to Torero's, our favorite Mexican restaurant in Durham. One of my dearest friends, Victoria Joy, joined us for my birthday lunch. As is traditional at Torero's, when it is your birthdayyou get to wear a sombrero while they sing and give you some sopapillas with whipped cream... which of course they put on your face...



After lunch, Mom and I had to get to the airport, since we were both working the next day. So yes, I had to fly on my birthday... But I got to hang out with my mom and on our layover in Baltimore, I got a tasty strawberry margarita...


Monday was my next birthday week event... froyo at this realllllllyyyyy good place right next door to the children's museum: BerryAustin2Go. I had brought along a book that I had received as a gift the day before (Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares. it's a little depressing, just to warn you) and had some froyo!




Tuesday was my second family birthday dinner. My mom, my aunt, my brother and I went to Cantina Laredo, a place I discovered a few months ago. Their specialty is their table side guacamole. So. Good. I had a pomegranate margarita this time and chicken mole enchiladas and a chile relleno.

Wednesday was my friend birthday dinner at Magnolia's. As of that morning, no one had really told me the were coming besides my friend Faith, so I was preparing myself for it to be the two of us. (Which would have still been lovely!) I decided to go the mass text route, which meant I got more responses thankfully! We ended up with six of us: me, Faith, Samantha, Chelsea & Victoria (all friends from St. Ed's) and my former youth minister/family friend Jackie! We had a fabulous time; I was the only one who knew everybody, but by the time we left, there were hugs all around. :) We had Mag Mud of course, because it is possibly my favorite dish on the planet.

Thursday was Harry Potter day! I love that Harry Potter week coincided with my birthday again! I went to Raul's house around 7 and we watched HP7.1 because he hadn't seen it yet... It was over just after ten and we headed to Alamo Drafthouse to get in line. I stopped by to see Samar since she was in a different line (we got separated into different theaters) and then lined up. We went in the theater about an hour before the movie started and the played a lot of viral HarrPotter videos. I ordered a butterbeer. And queso and cookies... The movie was pretty good. Definitely enjoyed myself.



Friday was 6th! Since I wasn't around last summer when I turned 21, I had not gotten to go to 6th on my birthday yet. It's probably just as well that I didn't get to go this year either since they give you shots of all sorts of stuff... I met Chelsea, Valentin, Caroline and Brooke at the Iron Cactus, to start off with margaritas (you may have guessed that margs are my drink...). I had never been there before but it was really nice! They have a rooftop bar and I felt so sophisticated up there. Of course, then we went three other places and just danced the rest of the night. We met Emma at the first club. I had such a fun time: good friends, margaritas, dancing... that's my idea of a good time.

Saturday, Faith and I went to see HP7.2 again (for me). She wasn't able to go at midnight so we'd planned to go on Saturday, which is what we did for part 1 back in November as well. We ate a lot of food and enjoyed the movie. And picking it apart afterwards of course.

Later that night was the Harr Potter Extravaganza at the Highball. When I first saw this, I wanted to go so bad, but couldn't think of who would go with me... either that loved HP as much as me or had the money. But then my dear friend Raul (my "husband") mentioned it sounded like fun, so we went! I revived my Golden Snitch costume from last Halloween for the occasion. Raul was a muggle. The room was decorated with candles hanging from the ceiling... We had a wizardly meal as well as wizardly drinks. I tried firewhisky since I had had butterbeer the other night... even though I had never had whiskey before... yeah, it was interesting. We had trivia, and were on teams. The girls that sat with us couldn't believe their luck that they'd ended up with me on their team. We won. By one point. For once, all my Harry Potter knowledge served some purpose. One round was all the first lines of each book and we (I) were the only team to get them all correct. Then we watched an improv group reenact the entire HP series... in an hour. It was hilarious. he Dance Battle of Hogwarts began next, but I was wearing 3 inch heels and was kind of exhausted from the week so we didn't stay. I felt like seeing Voldemort dance to Thriller was as good a way as any to end the night.



One final semi birthday week event was a Spider House date with my friend/former college minister Ann on Sunday. She had been sick for other events during the week so we used some giftcards and had some queso and tea. We caught up on a lot of things, which was great since we hadn't had a chance to do that in a while. Lovely wato end the week.


I was exhausted bthe end of the week, but in a good way. I have wonderful friends and family and I am incredibly blessed to have them in my life, especiallthat would join me to celebrate another year of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment