Friday, August 19, 2011

News From LA!

I know you all have been waiting with bated breath for me to write a blog entry again... especially with all that has happened in the last few weeks: packing and saying goodbye to my family and friends and my city, JVC orientation in Aptos and then the move to LA! It's been a bit of a whirlwind.

Shoutout to all that spent time with me and helped me celebrate this new chapter in my life, especially Faith, Victoria, Samar, Sabrina, Raul, Julie, Debra and Cinda who all did their part of making my last week in Austin fabulous. Another shoutout to my family that helped me pack and plan for the move, and packed up all the stuff I left in the corner of the living room to ship for this year!

So. I'm in LA. (I live here now!!)



I have finished my first week at Urban Compass. I am learning the ropes of the organization and planning out programming for when the kids start school (after Labor Day). Big news in that area is that I'm going to have to get a driver's license... Through lack of communication, somehow I got hired though I was going to need to drive, so we're trying to rectify that situation. I'm studying the CA Driver's Manual and hope to go get my permit ASAP so then I can actually practice driving.

Orientation was a bit long and Aptos is sooooooo cold. Especially after working all summer in 107 degree heat, I was having issues feeling warm enough, even with all the layers. Aptos, however, is also beautiful. We had our welcoming mass on the beach as well as prayer another night. We heard a lot of FJV's speak about the four values of JVC and how we can live them out. We spent a lot of time with our communities discussing how we would handle the four values for ourselves. These conversations were really good for a jumpoff point to get to know each other.





We headed to LA last Thursday. Drove down the PCH (not the whole way, but for the first few hours), stopped at In-N-Out for lunch and made it to our house around 7.





As we opened the gate, we heard voices... some FJV's were there to greet us! Our "official" support people came soon after. We hung out for a while and then... we were alone in our house for the first time! We chose rooms, which fortunately was not a big deal and started moving in.

The next day we got a tour of all our agencies, which was really cool. We opened a bank account together on Saturday. That night, we met some FJV's at the HMS Bounty. Sunday, we went to mass at Delores Mission and met Casa Ita Ford. We walked over to see their house after mass. (Much cleaner, though we still like our house better. We're just having to clean it ourselves.) And Monday--we started work!

We had our first Spirituality Night on Tuesday, organized by Sonia. We put our hopes and dreams and thoughts for this year on a sheet of paper, tore it up, and buried the pieces in our yard, so the earth would hear us. I then got the crane boxes I had for them and passed them out. Last night, we got free tickets to the Sparks game, so went to the Staples Center, and yes, after trying the entire game, made it one the jumbotron! So much fun. Tonight we are headed to the Santa Monica Pier for our House Community Night, and tomorrow hiking up to the Hollywood Sign with the other LA houses :)

This first week in LA has been pretty awesome. I could gush about my housemates, that's how excited I am to be living with them. This is going to be a good year.

1 comment:

  1. Naomi the driver--you can do it! Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to hearing about Urban Compass.

    ReplyDelete