Monday, December 12, 2011

December?!?

How is it December? How is it that 2011 is almost over? How is it that it's been a year since I graduated from St. Edward's University?

I don't think I had any idea a year ago where I would be right now--sitting in an office in Watts in LA working for an after school program. Yeah, I had the idea of doing a year of service, but never would have known that this is where I would end up.

It's been a crazy few weeks. Got back from Thanksgiving, and my dad and brother came to visit, and even came to volunteer at Urban Compass one day! We had a lot of fun wandering around LA, going to some museums, eating out (which I rarely do here) and had a day trip to Malibu. They also got to spend time with my community. The three of us made dinner one night--zucchini boats (yum!), salad and sweet potato bread for dessert (this was an experiment, but it was SO good).

I really enjoyed my time with family here. Even though I will see them again really soon at home, I loved showing them my world here in LA. I could really illustrate the stories I tell them by showing them my context.

A few photos:

Dad drawing with fourth graders Arianna & Michelle

David drawing with first grader, Ruth

Broadway men searching for shells and rocks in the Malibu coast

David & I and Malibu sunset

Dad & I & Malibu sunset


Last week, we had a few dramatic things happen at Urban Compass, that I will perhaps write about in another post, so it was a struggle for us. It showed us just how our vision as an organization meets the actual reality of kids growing up in the projects.

We also had a Coat Party!

Casa DK is planning on doing our family Christmas on Wednesday. Friday, we say goodbye to Kevin and Mike P. Saturday is the Urban Compass Holiday Party! Sunday, I head back to Austin. I can't wait to go home for a couple of weeks, but I will absolutely miss my kids and my casa-mates so much, so I know I can't wait to return!

No comments:

Post a Comment