Friday, January 6, 2012

So This is Christmas...

Before we dispersed before the holidays, we had our community Christmas. We decided that we would do Secret Santa, so everyone didn't have to get gifts for everyone. Our second rule is that the gifts had to be made by us. My mom and one of her best friends/adopted godmother send me care packages often and had recently sent me one full of cookie making supplies, so I suggested we do that for another Christmas activity that night.

Casa DK's christmas tree

cookies!


gingerbread cookie with peppermint icing=so good

Mike H. showing off his cookie creation
It turned out that Sonia got Erica, Erica got Sonia, Mike H got Kevin, Kevin got Mike P, Mike P got Mike H, Jackie got me, and I got Jackie. We got some fun gifts :)


Sonia made Erica a picture frame

Erica decoupaged glass containers for Sonia

Mike P. made Mike H. a napkin with a tie!

Kevin wrote Mike P. a poem

Mike H. made a M&M basketball game for Kevin

Jackie made hello kitty macaroni art for me

And I made her some wall art with Romero quotes
Saturday, we had our Urban Compass Holiday Party. All the kids got to make lists of things they wanted, and their parents got to make lists for their families as well. We were sponsored by many friends of Urban Compass that adopted families to provide the items on the lists. During the holiday party, we had food, hot chocolate, cookie decorating, crafts... the kids and their families seemed to be having so much fun! My primary responsibility for the party was to sort and coordinate the items that were donated for the families. I had some amazing volunteers helping me, which made it go so smoothly! The party really did go well, and went by much faster than I realized it would. Afterwards, the staff of Urban Compass (all 4 of us...) went out to eat to celebrate the end of a wonderful first semester!

My elf costume for the party

Banner with stockings for every UC student

The donations I was sorting and organizing!

Me & Shantelle, the only kid I managed to get a picture with that day
The next day, I flew home to my beloved Austin. First headed straight to Salado to see my family, then went to the Baylor Women's Basketball game that night. What a game! The next week I spent a lot of time with family and friends and eating at all my favorite places. I went to Magnolia's twice in the same day. And ate Mag Mud twice in the same day... obviously. It was wonderful to see everyone. We celebrated Estes Christmas on Christmas Eve.

Dr. Pepper & basketball. Love my life.

Cousins! Minus Baby Garrett

Broadways!
Day after Christmas, we began the trek to Black Mountain, NC to have Broadway Christmas. The drive was long and um, cozy, but it was great once we got there. I hadn't been to Aunt Jerene and Uncle Jim's house in a year and a half and it was good to be back.

Aunt Jerene & Uncle Jim & nieces/nephew
We then spent a few days in Durham before I headed back to LA. I was reunited with my darling Victoria Joy and my church family. Durham will always be home, but it was definitely strange to be back.

With Njeri and Cheantell

All my baby sisters <3
Then I headed back to LA, and got here Tuesday night. I am so thankful and blessed that I got such a long break and to spend time with so many people I love. I only hope every Christmas will be like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment