Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February Update

It's been a while. Not to gloss over the last month, but it's not what I want to focus on. There was a period of struggling a lot with my life as it is and trying to reconcile than with my life as I wish it was. Life's a journey, and things have gotten a lot better in the last few weeks. Making changes for the better.

ANYWAY.

What happened in January?

We had an epiphany party at Maria's (one of our support people), which was super fun. Her partner Janelle is an amazing cook, and we were definitely spoiled for a night.
before dinner

with our dear support people, Maria and Shannon


I got to go see Wicked at Pantages Theater, which I paid for with Christmas money from my grandparents (thank you Granny Ree & Grandpa Herbie!). It was an amazing show, and now I'm reading the book, which is also really good. Then a couple weeks later, I had the chance to see Cirque de Soleil... free! Jackie and Mike H. had tickets from work, and Mike H. being the dear roommate he is, let me go in his stead.
Cirque with Jackie!


Then we had ReOrientation back in Aptos. I was very grateful for my new electric blanket gift from Mama (thank you!!) because it was coooooold. It was a good weekend--it was good to see all the other JV's again and to focus on why we're doing what we're doing again. We also had some really important conversations as a house, and I'm feeling really good about where we are right now, making progress as a community.

THEN on the way back down from NorCal, we decided to "stop by" Sequoia National Forest, which ended up being more of a detour than we realized, though I think consensus was we were still glad we did it. There was snow. There were giant trees. We took lots of pictures.

us with General Sherman, biggest tree in the world & Mike F. and Rebecca from Casa Ita

I decided to take off my blanket briefly for a better picture

Urban Compass has been going well. We got a donation to buy new laptops for the program, so we now have 12 laptops! This in turn has enabled us to start a computer skills class (mostly for 4th & 5th graders), which has been going fabulously so far. We've gotten some new kids that have done really well adapting to the program. And then there's the days that all my kids throw tantrums about doing their homework... I guess they're still 5 & 6 year olds. :)

There's a lot of blog posts in the making, and I'll try to get back on top of things, so hopefully there won't be as long of a wait next time. Hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment