Monday, June 11, 2012

Spirituality Night: I Am poems

Tonight I led spirituality night focusing on spirituality from within. Our spirituality is intimately part of our beings, so what makes us who we are? The bible tells us: "love your neighbor as yourself"--and we must remember to also love ourselves. After introducing the activity, we had a fifteen minute period to write our poems, and then we shared. Here is mine:

I walk along the empty streets, the busy streets
I see faces staring back at me
My tendency is to hide
But I want to live my life with my arms open wide
Courage and strength
From the years and years of women gone before me
Shedding the darkness


I am Naomi
I am on a journey
Calloused feet of a dancer
Dreamer and cynic wrapped into one
Eyes looking skyward
Following the monarch butterflies
Simultaneously fearing and embracing
The change they bring
A Southern girl by birth
But home is where the heart is
And my heart is with the ones I love
I live
I love
I choose to live.


No comments:

Post a Comment