Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back in Austin

Here I am, just over a year later, back in Austin, TX. I am writing this from the North Austin Medical Center where Mama and I have been for hours as she is undergoing chemotherapy. We've chatted, worked on things, etc. but she seems to be comfortably sleeping next to me right now. A little less than an hour left for today, then two more (shorter) days.

I will write a longer post about my road trip from CA-->TX later, but I'll say now how much fun it was. It really was a once in a lifetime opportunity. We traveled from LA up to SF, partway on the PCH, stayed with a friend of mine, Alex, for a few days and got to explore the Bay Area. From there, we drove east through Yosemite and to Bishop, CA to stay the night. Bishop, CA to Las Vegas, NV for lunch, then on to Bryce, UT. Went to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park in the next couple of days. Then drove east to Moab, UT, where we went to Arches and Canyonlands National Park. Then drove southeast to Salida, CO, where a family friend of Abigail's lives. We stayed there for a few days relaxing after all the exertion in UT and hung out in the cute downtown area. We also got to visit one of my best friends from high school, Kaytee, in Alamosa, CO where she is doing a new volunteer job. From Salida, we went to Taos, NM for lunch and shopping and headed to Santa Fe, NM where we stayed the night. Explored there the next day, then stayed the night in Lovington, NM and then Lovington to Austin, TX!

After dropping off all my stuff at my apartment, I went ahead and joined my mom and grandparents in Salado for the weekend. I've applied for one job so far (progress!) and been helping Mama with stuff. Last night we came back to Austin and I've officially started to unpack again in my old apartment. I have done a lot of research and found quite a few jobs I want to apply for--next is putting in the applications.

It's very strange being back here, but I'm glad to be. I came back just in time to come with Mama to this round of chemo, help move in my baby cousin Emily at UT and to pay my respects to a dear professor of mine, Dr. Shirley, who died last week. I love this city, and I love the people in it. I hope you will all continue to be with me on this journey as I figure out what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment