Friday, November 16, 2012

Long Overdue Update

An update on life in Texas has been long overdue, so finally I am sitting down and writing.

On October 1st, I started a new job as an AmeriCorps member through the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas, and my site is Austin Learning Academy. I've been doing a lot of different things, but my primary responsibility is to be an assistant teacher in 3 different classrooms--Beginning ESL for adults, Early Childhood class and Advanced ESL/Adult Basic Education class. We're still figuring out the best way to use my talents to aid the main teachers, but I've really enjoyed getting to know all the students. Because I started my AmeriCorps term a month later and still have to do 1700 hours of service by July 31st,  I have also begun helping with the ALA EL/Civics and GED night classes two times a week. On top of that, I also started teaching ESL at Posada Esperanza on Fridays, since ALA does not have instruction on Fridays.

Phew! If it sounds like I am insanely busy--it's because it's true. The nights I don't help with classes, I go to Folklorico practice. Weekends I also sometimes have practice or different AmeriCorps trainings. Other than that, I spend as much time with my family as I can, and am attempting to still make room in my schedule for other special people... or one in particular ;)

Though my schedule is crazy, I think I function better when I have things to do, so I'm glad to be busy. The new job has also not been very stressful at all so far, which makes being busy not as difficult. Still, I will be very glad to have a good long break for Thanksgiving next week! I have absolutely loved being close by to family again, and I can't wait to spend some good quality time with them (and lots of food) for Thanksgiving. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment